Critics Academy NYFF
Building on the success of the recent Critics Academy at the Locarno Film Festival, the Film Society of Lincoln Center has partnered with Indiewire and, with the support of Film Comment Magazine, will launch Critics Academy NYFF at this year's New York Film Festival.
This partnership will nurture emerging critics and journalists as they attend and cover screenings and events at the 50th New York Film Festival (September 28 - October 14, 2012). Throughout the event the writers will participate in workshops and mentor sessions that include candid discussions with noted critics, working journalists, filmmakers and members of the film industry, including writers and editors from Film Comment Magazine. Coverage will be published on FilmLinc.com, as well as Indiewire's Criticwire blog and other outlets. Read more about the program here.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, September 4
• Applicants must have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate study or no more than two years of experience creating critical and/or journalistic content about movies.
• Must showcase a demonstrable interest in film criticism and/or film journalism as well as the ability to speak and write fluently in English.
• Must be in New York to attend the festival in person.
Accepted critics will be notified by Friday, September 7. Six critics or journalists will be selected from the New York City area with an emphasis on a diversity of voices, backgrounds and cinematic interests.
Applications must include the following:
• CV: A basic one-page resume
• 5 writing samples about film. These can take the form of film reviews, scholarly papers, blog posts, college newspaper clips, podcasts or any other work that you think demonstrates your skills.
• A 500-word statement of intent. Tell us about your background and why you would make an ideal candidate for the Critics Academy. Make sure to note any particular interests (genres, national cinemas, etc.). Passion, strong writing skills and a deep knowledge of film history matter more than overall professional experience.
Please send applications and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.